I want to share my absolute favourite vegan Lemon Cake recipes with you. It is one of the easiest and safest recipes that I’ve come across so far with no fancy ingredients or equipment, no hour-long waiting for things to happen – and still it’s always one of the first cakes gone from the buffets!
The original recipe comes from the amazing Ethical Chef and I only adapted it slightly to bring out the fruity tanginess even more. It might not be the healthiest possible version of a lemon cake but I can promise that you will LOVE it. And what I mean is: You will need some serious self-control not to eat the whole cake by yourself (I’ve been there!) – or even the batter to start with!
I just can’t get over the fact how fluffy, moist and lemony the cake turns out. I even dare to say that it will be one of best lemon cakes that you will ever have eaten – vegan or not!
So get baking and wow your family and friends (and all those doubters!). Don’t forget to take a picture and show me your pieces of yumminess. You can send me an email or simply tag me on Instagram, I would love to see your creations!
The Best Vegan Lemon Cake (Ever)
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 30 Minutes
Yields approximately 12 servings
275g Self-raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
100ml Grape seed Oil
160ml Cold Water
1 Vanilla Pod (or 1tsp Vanilla Extract)
1 Organic Lemon (Zest and Juice)
1 Organic Lime (Zest and Juice)
For the glaze:
50g Caster Sugar
1-2tbs Lemon Juice
- Get yourself prepared by preheating the oven to 200 Degrees Celsius, lining the tin, weighing out all the ingredients and getting all the utensils out you are going to need.
- Put all dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, sugar, seeds from the Vanilla pod and lemon and lime zest – into a bowl and mix.
- Add in the juice, oil and the water and mix thoroughly to make sure all is combined well. It helps to add the wet ingredients one after the other and to stir the mixture well before adding the next one. As you can see the batter is quite runny.
- Pour the finished mixture into a lined cake tin and bake for 30 minutes until fully cooked at around 200 Celcius.
- When the cake has cooled down you can start making the glaze for the top. Just stir the lemon juice into the sugar and pour over the cake and let it set.